Phone Icon(716) 632-4600 Facebook LinkedIn YouTube Google Plus

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Facts & Detection Devices For The Home & Office Part One

1.) What is Carbon Monoxide? CO is an invisible, toxic, flammable gas that cannot be noticed by humans or pets. It is the result of incomplete combustion primarily from fossil fuel burning sources.

2.) What sources does it come from? Common sources of CO are:

  • hot water heaters
  • engine powered tools
  • boilers
  • lawnmowers
  • portable generators
  • grills
  • fire places
  • car exhaust
  • gas appliances

3.) Can I notice CO poisoning right away like I do with a fire condition? No, a fire condition produces flame and smoke that you can see, hear, feel and smell. CO is a poisonous, colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas, and that it why it is referred to as the “Silent Killer”.

4.) How does it affect someone? Acute Poisoning: One-time high-level accidental poisoning. Symptoms include: Headaches, nausea, malaise, and fatigue. Chronic Poisoning: Multiple-low-level poisonings over a long period of time. Symptoms include: Headaches, lightheadedness, depression, confusion, memory loss, nausea and vomiting.

5.) Does everyone get affected the same way? No, individuals who are elderly, very young, or those with medical problems may be affected more seriously.