Amherst Alarm recommends that you test your alarm system each month, to ensure it is working properly and that we can receive alarm signals. When testing your alarm, you want to ensure that not only your system equipment is working properly, but that our Monitoring Response Center is receiving your alarm signal as well.
Due to phone lines failures, lightning and/or power surges, a change in phone service, we urge you to test your system monthly. There are many outside interruptions that can cause your normally reliable security system to become incapable of doing its job.
How to Test My Alarm System
- Call our Monitoring Response Center at (716) 632-4600
- Have your account number and password ready which identifies you as the authorized user of your home or business
- Tell our dispatcher that you would like to test your system
- The dispatcher will take your alarm offline so that no emergency services will be contacted during your testing
- Close all protected windows and doors
- Arm your system and allow the delay time to expire
- Activate your system by opening a door/window, pressing the panic button, or crossing the path of a motion sensor
- Allow your siren to sound for 30 to 60 seconds
- Disarm your system
- Call out Monitoring Response Center again, be sure to still have your account number and password ready for the dispatcher when calling to check on the results of your test
- The dispatcher will describe the signals received during your test
- The dispatcher will then take your system back online
- You have now successfully tested your system!
If your alarm system did not properly communicate with our Monitoring Response Center, your dispatcher will connect you to our service department between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday.
One of the most common reasons your signal could be interrupted is a problem or a change made to your phone or internet service. If you are planning on making any changes to your phone or internet service, please call us and we will let you know if it could effect your monitoring service. The best way to avoid these issues is to choose ANET Secure Monitoring, ANET Monitoring sends your alarm signals wirelessly and isn’t reliant on phone or internet service.
For more information on how to test your system, consult your owner’s manual. Some system manuals can be found here. If you have any questions about testing your system, don’t hesitate to call us at (716) 632-4600.