- Home Systems
- Business Systems
- Products & Services
- Why Amherst Alarm?
- Customer Support
Get your free quote by our professional security experts today! Get the expert service that thousands of Western New Yorkers trust to protect their homes and businesses.
The best way to secure your home is with a security system from Amherst Alarm, but there are many other tips and tricks you can implement into your daily life to stay safe! Some of these may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised at how easy it is to forget to lock a window or your garage when you’re busy. To download a convenient PDF of these tips, please click here.
1. If you move into a new home, change the door locks right away.
2. All exterior doors should have quality cylinder locks plus deadbolts with 3-inch screws. This goes for sliding doors too. Exterior door frames should also be reinforced so they can’t be kicked in.
3. Check all doors. Don’t leave windows and doors unattended, open, or unlocked especially when gone.
4. Don’t open the door for strangers, always use the peep-hole or your doorbell camera to see who it is. Ask for ID before you open the door.
5. Make sure door and window hinges are on the inside of the house to prevent easy access from outside.
6. Install glass-break detectors on windows. If there is forced entry, an alarm will sound and Amherst Alarm will be alerted.
7. Use locks on garages and sheds and keep them closed when not in use. Keep any tools, especially ladders that could reach upper floors, locked up.
8. Make sure your driveway, porches, yard, and garage are well-lit at all times. Motion detecting or heat sensing lights provide safety and save energy.
9. Landscape for visibility, not privacy. It is better not to have obvious hiding places like overgrown shrubs that could shelter burglars from the street or house.
10. Have an emergency plan. Put together a list of what to do if an attempted burglary happens and involve the whole family.
11. Be sure to have an insurance plan that covers any and all losses due to theft.
12. Keep a home inventory up to date so that in the worst-case scenario, you can offer proof to the insurance company and get back what is rightfully yours.
13. Don’t hand out house keys at will. Know where all of your house keys are at all times and don’t leave any keys outside in secret hiding places.
14. Don’t leave valuables unnecessarily on display throughout the house, especially on the ground floor or close to windows. Burglars can easily look in to see what you have. Be sure to draw your blinds at night.
15. Look into buying a safe for your valuables that can be stored away.
16. Be careful with your trash. Don’t leave boxes at the curb showing you bought a new TV or expensive item. Break the boxes down and bring them out just before collection.
17. Be wary of personal info you throw away. Many thieves will dig around in your recycling bin or trash to get information about your identity. Shred any personal information first.
18. Always be alert to your surroundings! Make sure you are familiar with your neighbors. Don’t be paranoid but keep a lookout for suspicious behavior.
If you have any questions about these tips or would like more information about securing your home with Amherst Alarm – give us a call today!